Thursday, September 1, 2011

GLAAD Calls Out Chelsea Handler For Mocking Chaz Bono

Please support Chaz Bono. This is RIDICULOUS!

GLAAD Calls Out Chelsea Handler For Mocking Chaz Bono
 

Cher isn't the only one rushing to defend Chaz against a deluge of transphobia; GLAAD has called out comedian and "friend of the community" Chelsea Handler for employing what the organization is referring to as "transphobic humor to mock him." Details follow.
As an introduction to a recent episode of Handler's popular Chelsea Lately show, the hostess said, "The Dancing with the Stars cast has been announced and, this is season 13, it includes Chaz Bono, otherwise known as Chastity Bono [laughs] before she got her penis [laughs]."
The issues for which GLAAD has called out the E! show did not stop there. 
From the org's blog:
Out comedian Fortune Feimster soon said that she was personally most looking forward to watching Bono on the program, saying:
Fortune Feimster: I’m, I’m like you, I’m excited about Chaz Bono. Cause I used to watch the show…
CH: I wonder why. [laughs]
FF: It’s like reality gold, he’s like four reality shows in one, like who doesn’t love that?
This was immediately followed by jokes from comedians Bill Bellamy and Jo Koy, who has previously apologized for using anti-gay language:
BB: I mean who do you vote off? Him or her? I don’t know which one you want to do. [laughs]
JK: Does, does he/she have both parts? Like, like he’s like ‘I don’t want to use my penis, let’s use the vagina tonight.’ Like [laughs] I don’t know.
Is this the kind of language or endorsement of language a "friend of the community" should use? Is GLAAD right for calling these comedians out?

No comments:

Post a Comment